Last updated -
S S E
St.Andrew’s C of E School
© 2016 Mill Hill Sai Centre
Sri Sathya Sai Centre of Mill Hill, widely known as ‘Mill Hill Sai Centre‘ is a spiritual association dedicated to the learning, practice and dissemination of the teachings of Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba (lovingly referred to as ‘Swami’ by His devotees). We are affiliated to the UK Sri Sathya Service Organization.
Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba is the founder and inspirer of the organization.
The Sai Centre believes in the unitary principle of love as the basis of all religions and hence includes all religions in its embrace. The guiding principle for this outlook is based on what Bhagavan Baba said about Himself on the 4th of July 1968.
‘I have come to light the lamp of Love in your hearts, to see that it shines day by day with added lustre. l have not come on behalf of any exclusive religion. I have not come on a mission of publicity for a sect or creed or cause. Nor have I come to collect followers for a doctrine. I have no plan to attract disciples or devotees into my fold or any fold. I have
come to tell you of this unitary faith, this spiritual principle, this path of Love, this virtue of Love, this duty of Love, this obligation of Love.‘
Our Sai Centre has been continuously active since 1990. We are non-
The following excerpt from the archives of Mill Hill, records the beginnings of our Centre.
‘By the Divine Grace of Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba on Thursday 28 June 1990 at 5 am, our first bhajan started off in a spectacular way at Highgate Murugan Temple. Suprabhatam was sung by Mrs. Saraswathy Packiarajah, a long time devotee of Bhagavan. The first Ganesh bhajan sung by Mrs. Rajini Dattani made sure to knock the flower from Shirdi Baba's picture confirming her long term devotion to Shirdi Sai Baba.‘
Very shortly after that inaugural session, the group moved to Canada Villa on Pursley Road in Mill Hill, London. With increasing numbers, the group became a Centre and was named ‘Sri Sathya Sai Centre of Mill Hill‘. There, the Centre grew in scope and reach. Various activities like Seva programmes, Sai Spiritual Education and Study Circles were started and conducted regularly. Many devotees fondly remember their days at Canada Villa.
On 27th of January 2008. the Centre moved to St. Andrew’s C of E primary school, Totteridge, London which has been a perfect home for the shared values we teach children within SSE. All activities of the Centre have continued without interruption. The Centre continues to assemble here every Sunday morning from 8 am till noon.
Sri Sathya Sai Centre of Mill Hill is governed in accordance with the following core principles:
● The aim of the Sai Centre, in keeping with the instruction of Bhagavan Baba to all Sai Centres around the world, is to facilitate the elevation of every human to the divine. The activities undertaken in the Sai Centre are thus aimed at removing the obstacles that keep every aspirant away from God. They aim to strengthen faith in God, cultivate a loving heart, and render selﬂess service to all beings.
● Devotees who assemble at the Sai Centre believe in the Divinity of Swami and that He is an incarnation of God. All activities conducted in the Sai Centre conform to His teachings which are regarded as main spiritual guidelines by His devotees.
● Bhagavan Baba teaches that there is only one God and all the names and forms refer to the one God who is omnipotent. omniscient and omnipresent. Hence. all religions are equally respected and recognized with no preference or prejudice to any single religion. Each religion is considered a valid pathway to God.
● In order to promote the feeling of surrender to God with firm faith along with selfless love for all beings, the Sai Centre does not solicit donations.The Sai Centre runs fully on voluntary contributions. Any service activity conducted by the Sai Centre is carried out by devotees with selfless love.
● With the aim of keeping everyone's focus on God. the Sai Centre does not entertain any talks or discussions on political topics or on popular and secular forms of entertainment. Devotees visiting the Centre are encouraged not to criticize any person, group, movement or organization of any kind. Visitors and devotees should avoid discord and are encouraged to love all and serve all.
● Devotees of Swami believe in the unitary goal of all religions namely to realise one's true identity as Divine. Hence all prayers and activities in the Sai Centre are focused on the singular purpose of spiritual progress.
The Sai Centre is run by a team of active ex-
We welcome all, particularly younger members and new devotees to Mill Hill, who have a strong commitment to Swami’s teachings and wish to help the Centre in our regular activities.
These include Altar and Hall setup, organising weekly bhajans and special programmes, SSE including roles as Gurus assistants, seva activities, Youth activities across all wings, website management and information technology, administration, car park duties, setting up and operating sound systems and taking photographs.
Team coordinators and members have fluid roles with core functions but help out across all activities where needed.
Our guiding principle is to function as a team with love, unity and purity of intention whilst being aware of removing the ego I or doership in all our work.